Housing for those with HIV/ AIDS
Despite great strides in treatment, living with HIV/AIDS is not easy. We offer a very limited number of apartments with income-based rent for people who have at least one HIV-positive individual in their household. We also provide service coordination for our HIV-positive residents. These apartments are scattered across several of our properties to help maintain the confidentiality of our HIV-positive residents.
- Documentation of your illness
- Letter from a health professional qualified to make such determinations
- Results of HIV test from physician, community health center, or HIV counseling center
- Case manager statements or documentation of eligibility for HIV services is not sufficient documentation
- Proof that your household income is less than 80% of the area median income, as defined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Good rental history (no evictions or problems following the rules in your prior or current living situation)
- 60 days or more of continuous, stable income adequate to pay your rent and other expenses (Day labor and unemployment compensation are not considered stable income.)
- Upon approval, you are required to pay a full month’s rent and security deposit. If required to pay electric, you’ll need to show an NES receipt with the electric in your name.
- Those with arson convictions at any time will not be considered.
- Those with recent criminal convictions will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Sexual offenders with a lifetime registration requirement are not eligible for this program.
Application Process (Applications are not being accepted for this program until further notice):
- All applicants for the HOPWA program must be referred to us by a service provider. Service providers may call (615) 726-2696, ext. 142 to pre-screen your client for the program and learn more about the application process. If an applicant is approved for the program, he or she must also be approved through our leasing department.
- Complete your appointment at 822 Woodland Street; Nashville, TN 37206. Bring a photo ID, proof of illness and proof of all household income. There is a $10 application fee and $50 non-refundable reservation fee payable by money order only. (Everyone 16 years of age and older who plans to live in your apartment should be present at the application appointment.)
- At your appointment, you will meet with a leasing consultant to review your application and ask additional questions.
- We will check your rental history, criminal background, and verify your income.
- If approved and there is a vacancy, you'll come in for another appointment to provide us with updated income documentation, give us your security deposit and first month's rent, sign your lease and other paperwork, go over the rules, and get your keys. If approved and there is not a vacancy at that time, your name will be added to the waiting list and we will contact you when an apartment becomes available.
- You will meet the service coordinator who will be available to help you increase your income and maintain your housing stability.